Saturday 26 November 2011

Author Interview: Marissa Meyer

Meet Marissa Meyer, author of CINDER, book #1 in THE LUNAR CHRONICLES! You can read my (gushing) review of it here.

GoodReads Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl...
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future. 

Writing

Have you always wanted to be a writer?
Yes, always! I’ve been making up stories since I was a little kid, and reading has always been a favorite pastime. Although there were times growing up when I played with the idea of being a fashion or interior designer, I always came back to wanting to be a writer.

Where do you usually write?
I’m supposed to write in my office, but I often end up writing in bed or on the couch. It just seems easier to stay focused, oddly enough. I also love going to cafes or restaurants and writing there, as long as I can find a seat near an outlet.

If you're having writers block what do you usually do to get out of it?
Bribe myself with wine and chocolate. 

Cinder
  
What inspired you to write Cinder?
I’d entered a writing contest with a short story that was a science-fiction retelling of the fairy tale Puss in Boots. It was so much fun to write that I thought it would be neat to write a whole series of futuristic fairy tales—with robots instead of fairy godmothers and hover cars instead of white steeds. The idea exploded from there. 

If you could hang out with one of the characters who would it be?
Probably Iko, the android who’s constantly improving her sarcasm. She loves shoes and clothes, even though she can’t wear them herself, so I think it’d be a ton of fun to take her shopping. She’d probably help me pick out some amazing things! 

Books

What are your favourite genres?
I mostly read YA these days, but within YA I read all over the board. Paranormal, fantasy, dystopian, historical, contemporary romance… there are very few genres that I don’t like.

What was the last book you read?
Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake – I loved it, one of my favorite books this year!

Random

Tell us something random about yourself.

I once had a dream where I gave birth to an acorn and named it after my grandmother. By far the weirdest dream I’ve ever had, and the only one I can still remember many years later.

If you could travel back in time who would you want to meet?
Jane Austen. I’m a big fan, and while I wouldn’t want to give up our modern technologies forever, I think it would be delightful to vacation in Regency England for a month or two.

What are some of your favourite fairytales?

Oh gosh, you don’t know what a tough question that is! Cinderella has always been one of my top favorites, and I’m also fond of Sleeping Beauty, a.k.a. Brier Rose. I also love the tales with darker sides, like Bluebeard and Little Red Riding Hood (which has a much creepier history than a lot of people realize).

Thanks for stopping by, Marissa! ^_^
Thanks so much for having me on your blog, Renu!

8 comments:

  1. great interview! I think bribing myself is the only way to make me write too! That is one very strange dream though ;) Its also interesting to see how Cinder developed from a short story idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I love the look of this book and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Absolutely LOVED and ADORED Cinder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I once had a dream where I gave birth to an acorn and named it after my grandmother." !!!! LOL, Marissa, you're too funny! :) I love this interview :) Renu, you asked some interesting and spot-on questions, I enjoyed getting to know Marissa better and can't wait to read Cinder! I'm so freaking happy that I have the ARC sitting on my book-shelf :D

    Oooh! And glad to hear M liked Anna Dressed in Blood, I have this one, too and am about to read it soon! <3

    Fabulous interview, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I love the cover, and i am a huge Jane Austen fan too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool to hear how the original idea for Ciner began! AND YES! I would totaly want to hang out with Iko aswell. I freaking loved her, she's so awesome <3 Hahaha at the 'acorn birth' dream :D

    I think I've fallen in love with Marissa even more after reading this <3 Fantastic interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT interview! :) I always have to bribe myself to things too... I also reward myself for studying with high-fives LOL.

    One of THE BEST dreams ever. I had a dream when I was like 6 or 7 that I still remember. Basically, there was this like opaque guy with a weird, oval head holding a transparent balloon towards me. He pulled the balloon over my head and it was filled with Buckley's (y'know, the medicine?). Disgusting. Buckley's might work, but it also gives young kids nightmares.

    Aaaaaaanyways ;) Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I would like to meet Jane Austen as well.

    ReplyDelete