Saturday 5 May 2012

Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers

GoodReads summary:  Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

- Add to GoodReads
"Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?"
One of the things that I loved about Grave Mercy was the plot: "she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death" Sounds intriguing, right? Set in 13th century Brittany, Grave Mercy is a unique and action packed read!
LaFevers has created a strong and admirable heroine with great character development. Despite all the hardships life has thrown her Ismae never loses hope, she fights for what she wants and never once backs down.
Grave Mercy is  a great blend of fantasy and historical fiction. At first I was a little wary as I don't really read books with religious connotations, however, I soon found myself so immersed in the story and the characters that it didn't really bother me. So, if like me, it's not usually your thing try giving it a go anyway as it may just surprise you.
There is a touch of romance in GM, and it's the best kind. It builds up slowly, sparks fly, tension rises and then BOOM. *swoons*
I have to admit I was a kind of disappointed when I heard that the next book will be told from another characters perspective. However, if it's as good as Grave Mercy I will definitely be picking it up!
Rating:

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it so much, too. Like you, I was a bit disappointed that book #2 would be a companion novel told from a different point of view, but after finishing GRAVE MERCY I'm really curious to get to know Sybella better. :)

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Renu :) !! I'm glad you enjoyed this one that much .. I look forward to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful review, Renu! One of my favourite things about this book had to be the slow-building romance too :) We get so much insta-love and instant attraction nowadays that every time we find a sweet romance like this one, we can't help but swoon! x) (That, and Ismae was such an awesome heroine!)

    Awesome review, Renu! I'm glad you enjoyed this book like I did too! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expected it to be more violent, grittier and darker, but it is a kick-butt book. I'm actually looking forward to reading a story from Sybella's POV, she's so mysterious and we see so little of her in Grave Mercy.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need this book! Good job I've already ordered it. Anyway great review! Even more excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super glad to hear that you loved this one! I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good Renu! I'm not usually one to read books with historical settings either, but this sounds fantastic! And that romance gosh! I seriously can't wait to read it! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely looking forward to this one. A heroine training to be an assassin? Yes, please. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't very interested in this book before, but now it sure sounds good. LOL. Glotch was HORRIBLE at first, but then it got better. I'm glad I didn't give it up. :)

    ReplyDelete