Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday

GoodReads Summary: Twittercide [twit-er-sahyd]: the killing of one human being by another while the victim is in the act of tweeting.

Call me crazy, but I figured writing for the Herbert Hoover High Homepage would be a pretty sweet gig. Pad the resume for college applications, get a first look at the gossip column, spend some time ogling the paper’s brooding bad-boy editor, Chase Erikson. But on my first big story, things went... a little south. What should have been a normal interview with Sydney Sanders turned into me discovering the Homecoming Queen-hopeful dead in her pool. Electrocuted while Tweeting. Now, in addition to developing a reputation as HHH’s resident body finder, I’m stuck trying to prove that Sydney’s death wasn’t suicide.

I’m starting to long for the days when my biggest worry was whether the cafeteria was serving pizza sticks or Tuesday Tacos...

- Add to GoodReads

- Visit the authors' website

Thoughts:

In the sequel to Deadly Cool we have a murder mystery, laugh-out-loud moments, Twittercide, crazy antics, and even some romance!
Hartley is now a member of the school newspaper. On her way to an interview with homecoming Queen-hopeful she discovers Sydney Sander's dead body in a pool, and it looks as if she's been electrocuted while tweeting...Twittercide. Once again, Hartley finds herself in the midst of a murder investigation...
I love Hartley, she is, in my opinion one the funniest YA heroines out there. She is as witty and cunning as ever, but she also really matures in this book.
There is a touch of romance in Social Suicide. It's mainly little hints and awkward moments, but what I liked about Halliday's portrayal of romance was that it was realistic, because as we all know real teenage romance is often complicated and sometimes even embarrassing.
I loved the relationship between Hartley and her mum, it's something that's not often present in YA books. A scene I found particular amusing is when Hartley finds out that mum is trying out online dating, her reaction is hilarious!
The murder mystery is one of the best aspects of this series. It's thrilling and not at all predictable. I was constantly trying to figure out who the murderer was and was completely shocked when all was revealed towards the end!
Rating:



5 comments:

  1. That sounds hilarious!! I haven't read the first one yet, but I feel like I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhh, I'm SO excited to get my hands on this one!! I absolutely adored the first one, and it makes me happy to learn that Hartley doesn't lose her wittiness in this book -- that was one of my favourite things about her! That, and the fact that she's an awesome girl detective, which always used to be my dream! ;) Plus, the sweetly awkward romance sounds so much like actual high school! :')

    Awesome review, Renu! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twittercide? That's the funniest thing I've heard today! :P This book sounds amazing though and I've still yet to read the first one. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this sounds like such a funny read, I love books which mix humour with mystery! Fab review Renu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love unpredictable murder mysteries. I need to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...