Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

GoodReads Summary: In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse. 


- Add to GoodReads
Expected publication date: 10/07/12

The summary for Glitch immediately drew me in as I am a big fan of sci-fi/dystopian novels. To begin with the story was interesting, but then a romance was formed and things went downhill from there...
Glitch could have been so much better if the romance hadn't taken over the plot, because the ideas presented were, as I mentioned before, interesting. There was insta-love between Zoe and Adrien - they meet and soon after they're in love, and as if this wasn't bad enough there is a love triangle. Not the good kind either, which if handled properly it sometimes can be. The 3rd person in the triangle is Max, who is quite literally ruled by his hormones and I don't mean that in a funny way. Here's an example "Can I look at your genitalia?" Who the heck says stuff like that?! I understand that being glitched and therefore being disconnected from the Link means your flooded with all these emotions that up until then have been stifled. It can be overwhelming, but really, I thought it would at least give you the sense to talk like a normal person. He is apparently in love with Zoe, but it's more like he's obsessed with her, all he wants to do is *ahem* excuse the term, 'bang her'. So basically, what I'm trying to say is that instead of adding to the story as a good romance should it takes away from it.
As a love interest nothing really stood out about Adrien - his character was one dimensional and boring.  He also had an annoying habit of using curse words like "crackin' hell", "shunting", and "godlam'd". I would have overlooked this if it was just once or twice, but he repeatedly said it and it got on my nerves.
On a more positive note I like the mc, Zoe. When the story begins she's already glitching and questioning things which is different from other YA dystopian novels as it usually takes a while for the mc to do this. I could feel her inner struggle as she began experiencing emotions that she had never before felt. Plus, on top of that she had to try and blend in and act as if she wasn't an anomaly which is a pretty tough thing to do in the society she lives in.
Another aspect of the book I liked was the writing style and the use of repetition - "An anomaly observes is an anomaly reported", "Order First, Order Always." It really emphasized the harsh realities of living in the Community.
Glitch had so much potential, but unfortunately it was a huge let down and I very much doubt I will be picking up the sequel.

Rating:

12 comments:

  1. I too struggled A LOT with this book. The romance really took over the plot . . . such a pity since this book had potential. Anyway nice and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. I had high hopes for this, but insta-love AND a love triangle? I can't see this going well for me... :( It's a shame this was a let down for you Renu, though I'm glad you liked the writing style. A detailed and honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame you didn't like this one. I don't know about you but I get asked that genitalia question ALL the time! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I'm a huge romantic girl, but I can't stand insta-love and sometimes love triangles can bug me too when the romantic conflicts become too dominant, so I'm so sorry that it was like that for you! It DOES sound like this one has a cool concept, and the repetition in the writing sounds kinda neat. :)

    Still, thanks so much for the awesome honest review, Renu! Hopefully your next read is much better ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh. This sounds interesting, but the stupid genitalia questions, and the annoying language just turns me off. Sorry this was a disappointment. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you hated this book. Really, I am :D Cause I only read about 100 pages or so; I stopped when she lost her memory. Cause then I peeked and saw the fucked up love triangle. And I can't stand that. And with your review, I am SO GLAD I didn't finish this book. I wish it could have been good, it just wasn't :\ Which sucks. Anyway, thank you for this honest review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww it's a shame this book didn't work out for you Renu! I admit that the synopsis is what drew me to the book in the first place! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh geez... this makes me worried. I'm hearing some similiar thoughts about this and I was SO looking forward to Glitch! I'd like to hope I'll enjoy it better, but insta-love and Max in particular make me question that. I'm glad Zoe was likable, though, and there was clear struggle and growth for her.

    Sorry this was a miss for you, but fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry this book did not work out for you :(
    New follower
    -Buffi
    My Wonderfully Dysfunctional Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate it when something has so much potential and then isn't handled properly. It's so much more of a letdown than if, say, the plot just sucked to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shame that this one didn't live up to expectations. I think how much the romance should take over the plot, esp in a scifi/dystopian, is a very careful balance. Shame it didnt quite work here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard much about Glitch, shame it was not what you wanted it to be. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...