Sunday, 18 November 2012

Ironskin by Tina Connolly

GoodReads Summary: Jane Eliot wears an iron mask. It’s the only way to contain the fey curse that scars her cheek. The Great War is five years gone, but its scattered victims remain—the ironskin. When a carefully worded listing appears for a governess to assist with a "delicate situation"—a child born during the Great War—Jane is certain the child is fey-cursed, and that she can help. Teaching the unruly Dorie to suppress her curse is hard enough; she certainly didn’t expect to fall for the girl’s father, the enigmatic artist Edward Rochart. But her blossoming crush is stifled by her own scars, and by his parade of women. Ugly women, who enter his closed studio...and come out as beautiful as the fey. Jane knows Rochart cannot love her, just as she knows that she must wear iron for the rest of her life. But what if neither of these things is true? Step by step Jane unlocks the secrets of her new life—and discovers just how far she will go to become whole again.

- Add to GoodReads
Bronte's Jane Eyre is a book that I will forever treasure. I haven't read all that many classics, but out of the ones I have read it's my favourite. This is the third re-telling of Jane Eyre I've read, but unfortunately unlike the other two I was hugely let down.
I think that if you go into this with fresh eyes you may end up liking it, but as an avid fan of the classic I couldn't help but make comparisons, and to me, this didn't quite have the spark Jane Eyre did.
However, I'll give credit where credit is due. Connolly presents a world left devastated after a war with the Fey. A number of war victims find that they are cursed and have to wear an iron mask so it doesn't spread to other victims. I enjoyed reading about the different gadgets created by the Fey and the superstitious associated with them. However, there isn't really a proper exploration into the world. We're given enough information about the War between the humans and Fay to understand the plot, but not enough to feel fully immersed.
Edward Rochart failed to live up to the Rochester of Bronte's novel. I found that the romance between him and Jane was underdeveloped and not quite as exciting as it was with the pair from the classic who had great chemistry and passion.  Also, I didn't really get why Jane loved him or how he could love her when they had barely spent any time together.
Jane herself was an okay mc, and so were the secondary characters. The reason for this is because I felt like there wasn't enough interaction or dynamics between them.
Ironskin is a book I think may be appreciated by those who have not read the classic. If you're an avid JE fan like me, and are looking for a re-telling I'd recommend A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont or Jane by April Lindner. 
Rating:

17 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of this one before your review - sorry it disappointed you. I still need to read Jane by April Lindner but I have it high up on my to-be-read list so I should get round to it soon! Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not fan of re-telling cause original will always be original. I'm sorry this book disappointed you. Still I don't believe I'd read it. I can live without. Thanks for this hopeful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard about this one before, but never really looked into it. Ooooh, so you like Jane Eyre a lot. No wonder you enjoyed a breath of eyre. ;) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well there, join the club Renu. ;) I felt exactly the same as you about this book, especially since Edward Rochart was so underwhelmingly bland, and the connection between him and Jane was much too rushed for my taste. Great review! I think I'll check out A Breath of Eyre with your recommendation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry Renu, I don't think you're the only one that had a tough time with this book, I think in the last week I've read several disappointing reviews, that I don't feel as inclined as I did before to pick this up. Sorry Ironskin didn't work out for you, but thanks for the heads up on ones that did, I think Rachel really enjoyed Jane, so I must give that a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review addresses the same issues most people have had, and I'm convinced now that this book isn't for me. It probably never was to start with actually as I'm not overly fond of Jane Eyre. I guess the potential steampunk elements intrigued me enough to overlook that. Lovely review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the plot and the idea of this world, but I didn't buy the romance like you. I missed something about Rochester and I adore him in the real Jane Eyre. Great review :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I might still consider reading this. I could understand the disappointment when the retelling was not something that was close to what you'd like. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was disappointed by this one too, Renu! I always have high expectations for classic re-makes so really, that was what went wrong in this. Plus, like you said, Rochart didn't even come CLOSE to Rochester. Gah, I would have smacked him! >.< I feel like he was portrayed as a madman in some parts, not like the complex character Rochester was, and, again like you mentioned, he barely had any screentime with Jane! Why the romance? *pulls hair out* I feel like this was just such a huge disappointment for me. Jane Eyre is one of my favorites! :/ Anyway, wonderful review, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this one to read as well. I think I'm going to try and forget anything with Jane Eyre while reading this and maybe I won't be so disappointed. Jane Eyre was a favorite of mine as well. I'm so thrilled you mentioned Jane by April Lindner!! I LOVED that re-telling! Great review Renu. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read another review which said exactly the same thing. I do read classics, and Jane Eyre is a particular favourite, and it's sad to see that this in no way lives up to it, or my expectations. I'll still give this a go, just without any hope. Sorry you found this so disappointing. Wonderful review, Renu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't yet read Jane Eyre, but this does seem interesting. It's true that an original is an original, but personally, I like retellings as they make you look at a story with a whole new perspective! Anyways, it's understandable why you didn't like Ironskin. Thanks for the Jane Eyre retellings suggestions! I'm going to look them up soon. Great review, Renu! :D

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this. I really loved it, despite the flaws you (correctly) pointed out. I guess the story and writing fit my mood at that time.
    I have a copy of Jane and now I'm so excited to read it!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed this book and I think it was a very cool retelling of Jane Eyre (a book that has always been a big favourite of mine). Anyway great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm. I'm one of those people that has not read Jane Eyre, so I know I wouldn't be making comparisons. Still, I've been reading a ton of really mixed reviews for this book and I'm not sure it's the book for me. I am curious though, so I'm going to leave it on my "maybe" pile. I'm good and indecisive like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a shame that this was a letdown for you! I haven't read the original (terrible me, I know!), so I'm curious to see if I'd enjoy it more since I have nothing to compare to. And I do love the idea behind it, but I am hestitant given what you say about the characters and the lack of chemistry with the romance =\

    Fantastic review, though. I hope your next retelling is a much better experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am one of *those* who haven't read the classic, although one day I am going to bone up and read it.
    Thanks for review, and sorry it wasn't all you wanted.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...