Wednesday, 13 February 2013

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

GoodReads Summary: Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

- Add to GoodReads
So despite the hype that's been surrounding this book I've never really been all that interested in picking it up, because 1) John Greens' books are not really my cup of tea and 2) as silly as it may sound Cancer is a topic that saddens me and I really am a HEA kind of girl. So, what, you ask, caused me to read this despite what I mentioned above? I honestly don't know. I got an email asking if I'd like to review it and for some unexplainable reason I said sure. Anyway, in the end I'm glad I said yes, because although it's not a favorite I actually enjoyed it.

John Green's writing style is incredible. He adds just the right amount of humour to an otherwise serious topic. There were so many quotes I wanted to include in this review, but alas I decided to go with just the one. As for the rest? I want to frame them so I can drown in their beauty and carry them around in my head.

Although Green does not quite capture the voice of a 16 year old girl (she was bit too mature for her age, imo) I liked the mc. Hazel has cancer, but instead of whining and feeling sorry for herself she lives. She is an amazing heroine who is both intelligent and relatable. She has a passion for reading, and I love the role her favourite book An Imperial Affliction plays in the story - her fondness for it made me wish it was real.

The romance between Hazel and Augustus isn't cliched or cheesy, instead it develops at a slow pace and reels you in until you find yourself rooting for them. The interactions between Hazel and Augustus were both witty and intellectual. The banter mixed with philosophical musings was highly entertaining, and at the same time thought provoking. (Although again, the conversations these two had made it seem as if they were older than 16).

The Fault in Ours Star
s is a heart-wrenching read with characters that will stick with you long after finishing the book.
I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.

Rating:

20 comments:

  1. A lovely review! Oh this book just makes me want to . . . *cries* You get the picture. ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHH!!! MUST READ THIS RENU!!! I've heard it's absolutely brilliant and I have yet to read anything by John Green so I need to make that happen. Plus, I love a romance with lots of witty banter. CANNOT WAIT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so determined to avoid this book at all costs (cancer, you know?), but, as you can imagine, all these 4 and 5 star reviews have had me changing my mind completely. I'm making a start on my first John Green book in a couple of weeks actually. I'm sure I'll get around tot his one eventually too. Great review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh meeeeeen, I need this book. Everybody is so raving about it and I can't wait to dive into this heartbreaking story. I love it when an author manages to make the perfect mix of humor and sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this, although I'm sure I"ll be a blubbering mess while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you. I felt so many emotions while reading this book as well! I really did enjoy that the romance wasnt cheesy either! Great review, Renu!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww, I finished this one a couple of weeks ago and even cried while writing my review :'( I loved this story, and I love your beautiful review. Isn't that quote the best? I had to make a button on my blog for it. Sigh. I may just have to go read my copy again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'll love reading the romance between Hazel and Augustus. Thanks for sharing, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh of course you like it. Only I can be an idiot and give a John Green's book a low rating. I read the translation in my defense and I'll never do it again. Great review Renu :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, amazing review :) Sigh. This book was just so damn good. I want to read it again and again. But yeah. So so heartbreaking. I'm so glad you loved it, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is yet again such a beautiful review Renu! This book has been in my tbr pile for ages, but I think the subject matter of one of the characters suffering from cancer has always got me a little scared of giving this book a try, but I love the way you mentioned how Green manages to mix up the heartache and humour well together and produce an incredible read! I think I will have to man up and give this book a try asap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, you're right. This book made me feel ALL the feels, and I loved it. I had minor issues with it, especially with both their voices being a bit too mature and eloquent, but that's normal for all John Green books.
    Wonderful review, Renu!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Friday, Renu. I recently had the Best of 2012 Giveaway on my blog and I polled the entrants for their fav book of the year and this one was the overwhelming favorite that people listed. I have not read it yet, but I have it scheduled soon. I guess I have been putting it off because I can't do heavy reads when it is gray and raining. I know what you mean about having a hard time putting a review together. The books I love are often the hardest to review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful review, Renu! This is such an amazing book, you're so right about it making you feel lots of different emotions

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you like this too. One of our faves this year :D Love your review on this, Renu.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first Green book was so disappointing I skipped this one... but maybe I should give the guy another try. ;) Lovely review, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely review, Renu. I have this but still I'm so nervous to pick it up. Your review gives me an extra push. Love that final quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, I still haven't read this one, Renu, despite hearing how awesome it is! I have watched John Green's videos on Youtube and he is just amazing. I'm not surprised that applies to his books as well! I need to find the time to read this one ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard about this book and I never wanted to read it into your review. The whirlwind of emotions that this book causes makes me think that it would be an unforgettable read.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am SO HAPPY that you loved this one! It's definitely one of my favorites, and though Alaska will always be my favorite John Green book, this one is completely and utterly gorgeous.

    "I want to frame them so I can drown in their beauty and carry them around in my head." <-- YES! I have a notebook filled with quotes and I swear, half of them are John Green's. I just love his words oh so much. But I'm glad you added this one, because it's my favorite from the story :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...