I've been looking for tags to participate in and the "unpopular opinions book tag" (which was was created by TheBookArcher) seemed fun!
1. A popular book or series that you didn't like.
The Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth.
2. A popular book or series that every one else seems to hate but you love.
Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo. I know the last book in the Shadow and Bone trilogy had many spilt opinions, but personally I LOVED it. I was so happy with how it ended, and the epilogue was everything. 💝
3. A Love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did NOT want them to end up with.
I don't tend to read books with love triangles, but I did not see this triangle coming. I was so annoyed when Juliette and Warner from the Shatter Me trilogy by Tahera Mafi became a thing. Even more so because to me it felt like originally the author intended Adam/Juliette to be a couple, but then suddenly after book 2 she changed her mind. Adam's character did a complete 360 and became completely unrecognisable in the novella from his POV, Fracture Me. I was so enraged by it and also the final book in the trilogy, Ignite Me. I prefer for love triangles to be up front, so I can avoid/DNF the book and not waste my time getting invested in the series. You can read my
rant review of the novella from Adam's POV here if you're interested.
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for.
Contemporary fiction, because I prefer my books not to be grounded in reality. Fantasy all the way! 🙌
5. A popular or beloved character that you do not like.
The Darkling from the Shadow and Bone trilogy. I know a lot of people ship him with Alina, but to me he is a villain. I can't see him as a love interest considering everything he's done.
6. A popular author that you can't seem to get into.
Lauren DeStefano, Lauren Oliver, Maggie Stiefvater, Kiersten White, Richelle Mead, Alexandra Bracken. I could go on really...
7. A popular book trope that you're tired of seeing.
I'm going to be honest and admit that I actually enjoy tropes like the chosen one, the lost princess, etc. It' the love triangle/insta-love trope that annoys the heck out of me. For example, I could be interested in reading a book, but then if I see in a review that there's a love triangle/insta-love immediately I'm like NOPE. 😞
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading.
The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas. I know for sure I would not be able to get on with the mc and the romance sounds like a hot mess.
9. The saying goes "The book is always better than the movie", but what movie or T.V. show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
Under the Dome by Stephen King. I've never been interested in reading the book, but my sister and I use to love watching the TV show.
What would your answers be to these questions be? Do you hold a similar opinion to me on any of the above? 📚